fredag 30. november 2007

Two things that I miss that I didn´t know I´d miss





Cats and trees.









Let me explain. Cats aren´t allowed here because of the parasite that I´ve mentioned earlier. The parasite (Echinococcus multilocularis) that the introduced mice Østmarkmus carrie, and which a cat might catch - and then take back to the humans etc. Dogs are easier to control than cats, so they´re allowed (this doesn´t stop the Russians from keeping cats in Barentsburg, from what I´ve heard).

At home, we have a cat (Tobias, he´s the black one on the top, now lodging with a friendly neighbour, and probably forgetting us completely). Also, the area we live in in Bergen, Sandviken, is crowded with cats. I bet that since 1990, when I first moved there, I ´ve at least seen three cats a day. I´m not really a "cat person" - but I sort of look on them as an obvious part of my surroundings - and it´s strange NEVER seeing one.


Trees. The photo above is a detail from Fjellveien in Bergen, where I go walking a lot. The trees there are wonderful at any time during the year, and I never tire from admiring them.

There is a tiny plant around here that´s technically a tree, dvergbjørk, or betula nana, but frankly that´s not good enough. I want to hug a proper tree, not study it with a magnifier.

And stroke a cat. If it lets me.

But then again, it´s nice missing something. I´ll try to remember when I come back, and everything has become just ordinary again.

Ingen kommentarer: