tirsdag 15. april 2008

The birds are back!

There are not many sure signs of spring around here (yet), but the return of the birds is one.

Outside my window right now a group of snøspurv (snow bunting) is larking about, and outside earlier today I could hear them chirping. We observed the first snøspurv on Saturday (one day before Svalbardposten), and Sunday I took a picture of these two suspicious-looking polarmåke (Glaucous gull).


The same day two ryper (ptarmigan) sat in the snow near our house (we almost didn´t see them, they´re good at blending into the background) - but they´ve been here all winter, so I suppose they don´t really count.

Anyway - as spring still seems far away (despite the light all night long, and the slightly warmer sun), the birds are a heart-warming sight. It baffles me that they decide to migrate here, though. Why not somewhere warmer? Somewhere with trees.

Ingen kommentarer: